Cobb Fire spokesman Lt. Dan Dupree said a boy, while cooking inside one of the units, got distracted and accidentally caused a kitchen fire, which spread to the attic and heavily damaged the three-story, six-unit building.
No injuries were reported.
Dupree said the call came in at 2:50 p.m. regarding a fire in the Stone Ridge apartment complex near Cumberland Mall. The first unit arrived to find fire shooting through the roof of the building, Dupree said. The blaze was out in about 40 minutes.
Dupree said the boy, who was alone in the apartment cooking fries on the stove with grease, ran to a neighbor's apartment after the fire broke out. Dupree did not know how many people evacuated from the building, but said they were receiving assistance from American Red Cross on Friday night.
The top floor of the building, at 3229 Mission Ridge Lane, sustained heavy damage, Dupree said, while the lower floors were damaged by water and smoke. The fire did not spread to any of the other buildings in the apartment complex.