Chartered as Georgia’s first military institute, GMI was originally founded in 1851 on the grounds of the conference center. GMI cadets left Marietta in 1864 to assist in the Confederate defense during the Battle of Atlanta, thus leaving the campus empty.
During the Civil War, Union Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman and his troops burned many of the Institute’s vacant buildings during his March to the Sea.
Brumby Hall is the only remaining structure of the original GMI. It was built in 1851 for Col. Arnoldus Brumby and his family. Col. Brumby served as the first superintendent of GMI and directed the Institute from 1851-59. To honor the legacy of GMI, the Georgia Army National Guard named its Officer Candidate School after the Institute in 1961 and GMI returned to Marietta in 2008.
During the graduation ceremony on Saturday, local historian Michael Shafer will give a brief history of GMI during the Civil War. There will also be GMI artifacts on display for viewing.