In 1867, less than three years after the Civil War, Hungarian Jewish immigrant Morris Rich opened a small dry goods establishment on what is now Peachtree Street in downtown Atlanta. He was soon after joined by his brothers and Rich’s Department Store eventually became Atlanta’s retailing giant with 36 branches. One of the first branches was established in Smyrna in 1963 as the anchor store at the newly opened Cobb Center Mall on the Access Highway to the Lockheed plant, which is now known as South Cobb Drive. The building currently houses the International Academy of Smyrna.
Clemmons is a graduate of Reinhardt University and holds a degree in creative writing from Georgia State. He works in the field of public relations for an international law firm based in Atlanta and in his spare time, he conducts tours of downtown Atlanta.