Georgia News Roundup
July 25, 2014 11:00 AM | 1829 views | 0 0 comments | 6 6 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Atlanta federal offices to reopen after outage

ATLANTA (AP) — The Sam Nunn Atlanta Federal Center is expected to reopen for business on Monday.

The building has been closed this week due to a power outage caused by a malfunction in the electrical system. The U.S. General Services Administration says crews have worked since Saturday to restore power.

The building in downtown Atlanta houses twenty-one federal agencies, with nearly 5,000 employees. The GSA says it has worked with agencies to continue operating during the closure, including daily calls and providing mobile workstations and meeting rooms at another federal building nearby.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press.

UGA seeking vice president for instruction

ATHENS, Ga. (AP) — The University of Georgia has appointed a search committee to begin a national search for a vice president for instruction.

The school says UGA Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost Pamela Whitten appointed the committee.

Jennifer Frum, vice president for public service and outreach, will chair the search committee.

The committee also includes recipients of the university's highest teaching honor, representatives of departments that report to the vice president for instruction, as well as a staff member and an honors student.

The committee will be assisted by the UGA Search Group in Human Resources.

Laura Jolly has served as vice president for instruction since 2010. She recently announced she will return to the faculty of the College of Family and Consumer Sciences on Dec. 15.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press.

Georgia man dies while snorkeling off Key Largo

KEY LARGO, Fla. (AP) — A 71-year-old Georgia man has died while snorkeling off Key Largo.

The Monroe County Sheriff's Office reports that John Marshall of Johns Creek, Georgia, was with nine others while snorkeling off a 25-foot private boat on Thursday afternoon. Shortly after noon witnesses say they saw Marshall on his way back to the boat. When they saw him again he was face down in the water.

Deputies say as Marshall was pulled onto the boat, another boat with a doctor on board pulled up and the doctor began CPR.

Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission crews arrived and brought Marshall to the marina, where he was pronounced dead.

An investigation continues and an autopsy will be performed to determine the cause of death.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press.

Man shot in Sandy Springs dies at hospital

SANDY SPRINGS, Ga. (AP) — Police say a man who was shot at an apartment complex north of Atlanta has died.

Sandy Springs police Capt. Steve Rose tells the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that the 20-year-old man was shot multiple times Thursday afternoon.

Police believe he was shot at an apartment complex used as college student housing and wound up in the parking lot of a nearby Sheraton hotel.

The man was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta, where he died. Police were notifying his next of kin Thursday and had not yet released his name.

No one was in custody. Rose said detectives had several promising leads, which they were following up late Thursday.

The area is about 15 miles north of downtown Atlanta.

Information from: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press.

Woman shot, killed by police south of Atlanta

HAMPTON, Ga. (AP) — Authorities say a Henry County police officer shot and killed a woman in Hampton, about 30 miles south of Atlanta.

Henry County police Lt. Joey Smith tells WSB Radio that a woman could be heard screaming in three 911 calls around 4:30 p.m. Thursday. He said officers arrived at the residence where the calls were made, heard the woman screaming, and forced their way in through a back door.

Smith said the officers then encountered a woman armed with a weapon.

Smith tells WSB-TV that the woman had a firearm on her side and made a movement toward the weapon before she was shot by the officer. Her name has not yet been released.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is reviewing the circumstances of the shooting.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press.

Georgia man fires bullet through Florida hotel wall

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Police say a 59-year-old Georgia man shot his handgun inside his room at the Wyndham Ocean Walk Resort in Daytona Beach and a 12-year-old boy in an adjoining room was either grazed by the bullet or hit by flying sheet rock from the shattered wall.

He told police he noticed the pistol had fallen out of the holster and "squeezed the trigger," discharging the bullet that went through the wall on Thursday morning.

The Daytona Beach News-Journal reports the boy wasn't seriously injured.

The man says he went next door to apologize but returned to his room when confronted by the boy's distraught mother.

Daytona Beach Police Chief Mike Chitwood says he doesn't "buy the accidental discharge story," adding that the man was negligent and should be charged criminally.

Police say the man's gun permit expired in May.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press.

Jury convicts man of killing pregnant girlfriend

PHENIX CITY, Ala. (AP) — An east Alabama jury took just minutes to convict a man of beating and strangling his pregnant girlfriend to death.

The Russell County jury on Thursday found Curtis Durall Newsome guilty of murder in the June 2013 killing of Caneya "Candy" Webb.

The Columbus Ledger-Enquirer reports that Newsome has said he "snapped" after learning that another man had contacted his girlfriend on Facebook.

Authorities say Newsome punched her so hard in the back of her head that she lost consciousness, then strangled her until she was dead, bound her ankles and wrists with computer cord and left her face-down in the bathtub of her Phenix City apartment.

Circuit Judge Al Johnson set Newsome's sentencing for Aug. 22.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Cleveland Speedway sells at auction for $800,000

CLEVELAND, Tenn. (AP) — After multiple years on the market, the Cleveland Speedway has been sold at auction for $800,000.

Retired investor Al Chapman of Chickamauga, Georgia, told WRCB-TV Chattanooga he's not sure what the future holds for the track, but keeping it open and operating is an option.

The Johnson family has been trying to sell the track for three years after filing bankruptcy. David Johnson says having offers turned down and multiple trips to court have proven frustrating over the years.

Johnson says safety, and addressing the decrepit grand stands would be the first order of business, if racing remains part of the property's future.

Chapman purchased the track and an adjoining 25 acres.

Along with the property, the equipment at the track sold Thursday night for $1,700.

Information from: WRCB-TV, 

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, and spam will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides