The blue, two-story home on Ridgetop Drive off Bells Ferry Road caught fire at about 10:45 a.m. Sunday and was engulfed within five minutes.
Dennell Boyd, Cobb County Fire Department spokeswoman, said the blaze may have started in the kitchen and later appeared to have started on a back deck, but could not confirm either cause Sunday.
All four residents of the home made it out safely and stood nearby as Cobb County firefighters doused the home with water. A large hole in the front and back of the home’s walls gave a clear view of firefighters carefully stepping to spray water on remaining sparks and the wooded area behind the home. Residents declined to comment.
Debbie Murphy has lived next door to the home that caught fire for less than a month and said she was startled at what she saw when she peered out of her window Sunday morning.
“I was having my third cup of coffee, I was reading and my husband was getting in the shower,” Murphy said. “And I heard what sounded like firecrackers.”
Murphy looked out of her window and saw the neighboring home’s back deck in flames and called 911. She wasn’t sure if the residents or neighbors also called 911 but praised the fire department’s response time saying fire engines were on the scene within 5 minutes of her call.
Firefighters faced challenges in keeping the fire at bay with a low hanging power line and a fire hydrant more than 200 yards away, Boyd said. Homes in the winding subdivision are close to one another and, though the fire did not spread to any other houses, Murphy was concerned about her home.
“As soon as I came out and the flames were up in the air and here comes the wind and I’m thinking, ‘Oh no, not our house,’” she said.
Jeremy Blackwood sat in his front yard next to the home and watched with his two sons as smoke rose out of holes in the siding. He said the residents had just moved into the home and it appeared to be undergoing a renovation. It’s a sobering experience, he said.
“It’s definitely scary,” Blackwood said. “It’s really sad with all the work.”