Family of four temporarily displaced by early-morning apartment fire
by Marietta Daily Journal Staff
January 14, 2013 11:46 AM | 1640 views | 0 0 comments | 7 7 recommendations | email to a friend | print

MARIETA - A family of four is temporarily displaced Monday after an early-morning fire woke them up.

Lt. Jess Zerbe, who is an investigator with the Marietta Fire Department, said they received a call around 3:46 a.m. that there was a fire in the kitchen of an apartment in the 1000 block of Franklin Road in Marietta.

“It was a small kitchen fire that started at the back of the refrigerator,” he said. “It was a malfunction within the refrigerator.”

No one was harmed but there were four people in the residence at the time that were all taken to the hospital, checked out and released, he said.

“Fortunately the fire was small and they didn’t lose any of their personal valuables but due to non-properly functioning smoke detectors, discovery of the fire was delayed,” Zerbe added.

Damage was isolated to the kitchen area and Zerbe said the cabinets, refrigerator and stove will all probably need to be replaced and that some dry wall work will need to be done.

He also said the residents will be staying with other family members in the area until their apartment is repaired.

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, and spam will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides