Atlanta fire Capt. Marian McDaniel tells The Associated Press that 29 students, a teacher and a cafeteria worker were taken to area hospitals Monday morning.
McDaniel said Atlanta firefighters detected high and unsafe levels of carbon monoxide near a furnace at Finch Elementary School, on the city’s southwest side.
Firefighters responded to the scene shortly after 8 a.m., after reports that people were unconscious at the school. McDaniel said firefighters found people sickened, but no one was unconscious.
Video from WSB-TV showed images of rescue crews carrying young children, strapped to gurneys with oxygen masks on their faces.