KSU: Student died from allergic reaction
by Katy Ruth Camp
krcamp@mdjonline.com
August 23, 2011 12:00 AM | 8304 views | 10 10 comments | 16 16 recommendations | email to a friend | print
KENNESAW — Tyler Cody Davis, 20, of Marietta died on Thursday after an apparent allergic reaction at the Kennesaw State University dining hall, the university said in a press release.

Davis was in his third year of school at KSU, where he was majoring in exercise and health science. According to a release sent out by the university on Monday afternoon, Davis ate at The Commons – Student Culinary Center on campus Thursday afternoon, and “subsequently departed the facility. The student later returned to The Commons in distress, and sought assistance in summoning emergency personnel.”

The Cobb County Fire Department was called at 4:48 p.m. for a possible allergic reaction, the release stated.

“Cobb County Fire Department medics performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation on the student, and CCDF officials then transported him to WellStar Kennestone Hospital. Within an hour, Kennesaw State University police were informed that Davis had been pronounced dead by the attending physician at Kennestone Hospital,” the release stated.

According to a statement posted on the Sprayberry High School soccer page, Davis graduated from Sprayberry in 2009 and was a varsity soccer player at the high school. The website also said Davis was an only child of Mike Davis and that his mother passed away a year ago, presumably from ovarian cancer. The family is asking for donations to be made to the Sprayberry Soccer Booster, or to ovarian cancer research in memory of his mother.

KSU spokeswoman Tammy DeMel said there is no suspicion of foul play, and that she is not aware of any other students becoming sick that day after eating in the dining hall.

KSU police and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation are investigating the death together, and an autopsy and toxicology reports are currently being conducted.

According to the Sprayberry website, funeral services are set for Saturday at 1 p.m. at Mt. Zion United Methodist Church, located at 1770 Johnson Ferry Road in Marietta.
Comments
(10)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
eissel77
|
August 26, 2011
Cross contamination is definitely always a concern in public cafeterias. Some people do not realize that once a spoon or serving utensil or anything is in contact with an allergen there is a possible of trace particles causing a severe allergic reaction. The key is to always, always carry the epinephrine pen or injection with you if you have severe allergy and do wear a bracelet to identify allergy disorder. Once in contact with an allergen, the only treatment available is epinephrine injection. Carry the epi. everywhere. Allergic reactions cause the airway to swell and close off, making CPR difficult. It only take seconds for things to go terribly south.

I really feel for the family of Tyler Cody. My prayers are with them. May God comfort you.
R8
|
August 24, 2011
Having food allergy myself, I have an epipen with my pretty much at all times. If you have an food allergy you don't go anywhere NEAR a cafeteria without a epipen, you always assume what you're allergic to is used in ALL cooking processes.
to KSU:
|
August 24, 2011
If the young man went back towards the cafeteria to seek help, I just wonder why the food workers there can't have an epi-pen on site or something like that, the way they have defibrilators on airplanes or in office buildings these days, and be more vigilent about this type of food allergy reaction???

My sincerest condolences to the young man's family. I'll pray for the strength you will need in the coming months.
StephanieC
|
August 24, 2011
the food is that horrible....
missyou
|
August 23, 2011
He was one of the most careful people I knew yet probably the most outgoing, happy, and full of life. I miss you so much Tyler.
Just Wait
|
August 23, 2011
As sad as this death is, I'm sure there will be a law suit forthcoming.
anon 101
|
August 23, 2011
When is the general public going to realize how dangerous food allergies can be? It doesn't matter how careful an allergic person is - cross contamination is always a concern. My heart goes out to his family.
Prayers
|
August 23, 2011
I send my prayers to this family...to have lost such a wonderful young man who has also lost the youth's mother. These are two very hard losses for a family. As a mother of a son who is deathly allergic too,I send my prayers to you.
KSU lies
|
August 23, 2011
How does KSU know what the student died from if the GBI is still conducting the autopsy?
we are sad
|
August 23, 2011
We've known Tyler since he was 8 or 9 years of age. He was always very careful with what he ate. This is vey sad and tragic. Our prayers go out to Mike and family.
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, and spam will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides