Osborne's defense gets it done
by Marcel Pourtout
MDJ Sports Writer
September 21, 2013 02:36 AM | 2577 views | 2 2 comments | 14 14 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Osborne wide receiver Brian Granison (2) hauls in a pass for a big gain for the Cardinals’ during their 5-0 win over Cambridge.
Osborne wide receiver Brian Granison (2) hauls in a pass for a big gain for the Cardinals’ during their 5-0 win over Cambridge.
MARIETTA — Behind a stifling defense and key first-down conversions from quarterback Craig Robinson, Osborne defeated Cambridge 5-0, and finally let a homecoming crowd go home happy.

“I’m excited to get the win and break our 19-game homecoming losing streak as well,” Osborne coach Xarvia Smith said. “We’ve had to overcome adversity and keep fighting but got the job done.”

Leading 3-0 Osborne sealed the victory with 7:30 left in the contest when Brian Ammons came off the edge to block a punt from Cambridge’s Hunter Smith at the 15-yard line. The ball went through the back of the end zone for a safety and a 5-0 Cardinals lead.

The Bears’ best scoring opportunity happened with less than 3 minutes in the game, on third down from Osborne’s 36-yard line. Cambridge quarterback Brian Moore overthrew a wide-open receiver on a play that could have resulted in a potential game-winning touchdown. The Bears eventually turned the ball over on downs, and Robinson ran for 25 yards on the Cardinals’ final drive to secure the victory.

“Our defense prepared well for tonight’s contest and did everything we asked of them,” Smith said. “They studied film, stayed after school and helped us get a big win in front of our alumni who haven’t seen many victories.”

Robinson finished with a game-high 209 yards of total offense in the victory, including a game-high 92 yards rushing on 30 carries. Moore had 90 yards passing for the Bears, while JD White gained a team-high 27 yards on the ground for Cambridge.

The exciting end made up for a sluggish start to the game.

Osborne’s first drive of the game stalled when Cambridge’s Cameron Moore intercepted a pass into the end zone.

The Cardinals missed another opportunity to score in the first half when a fumbled snap during a 29-yard field goal attempt with 2 minutes left in the first quarter prevented Osborne from putting points on the scoreboard.

The Cardinals’ strong defensive effort eventually paid off when a fumble by Brian Moore was recovered by Osborne’s Jauan Eason late in the first half.

On their next drive, a 43-yard pass to Ayo Ashi down the right sideline put the Cardinals back in field-goal range. Gutierrez converted a 26-yard kick to give Osborne a 3-0 lead heading into halftime.

The strength of the Cardinals’ defense continued to show with an interception on Cambridge’s first possession of the second half by Ayo Ashi.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
Joyce Oscar
September 21, 2013
That was Brian Granison #2 that blocked the punt, not Brian Ammons #17.
joyce oscar
September 23, 2013
Actually I think It may have been the other Brian...I can't tell from the film.
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, and spam will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides