Having grown up in a rural area of the country that is known for its abundance of snowfall, we depended on snowplows to clear the roads after a winter storm. Cobb County has many roads that are steep and tree-shaded that become treacherous to navigate in winter weather, but large snowfalls are few and far between.
The county is now considering purchasing a snowplow, 80 percent of which is supposed to be paid for by the federal government, but the question should be asked: Does the county have the resources in their budget to pay for the other 20 percent? The MDJ article mentioned that in the past, the county has rented equipment to deal with the problem of icy roads. Since a snowplow, albeit one equipped with a salt spreader, wouldn’t be arriving until the fall of 2013, too late for any severe weather this winter, wouldn’t it be better to continue to rent?
There are still questions that need to be answered before any decision should be made.