Victim ID’d as student in shooting on campus
by Noreen Cochran
October 18, 2012 02:05 PM | 4118 views | 1 1 comments | 9 9 recommendations | email to a friend | print
MARIETTA — Police have identified the victim of Tuesday’s shooting at Southern Polytechnic State University as 23-year-old Jason Moore of Marietta.

School spokeswoman Sylvia Carson said Moore is a full-time mechanical engineering student.

Marietta Police Officer David Baldwin said police found Moore at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta. His wounds are said to be non-life threatening.

Baldwin said investigators have a number of strong leads, but details about the victim, the perpetrator and the weapon or weapons involved are either unknown or being withheld.

“If they know who the suspect is, a lot of times they won’t release information because they don’t want to spook him,” Baldwin said.

Likewise, little is known about the witnesses to the shooting, which occurred in the parking lot of the school’s Engineering and Technology Center on the western edge of its campus.

“There were at least two,” Baldwin said. “They’re cooperating fully.”

They may be the same people who called 911.

“We got the call at 6:03 p.m.,” Baldwin said. “I think it was the witnesses we spoke to that called. They said it happened three minutes prior.”

When police arrived, they found campus police on the scene.

“I don’t know if they called the school first,” Baldwin said about the witnesses. “School police were notified as well and were able to get out there quickly.”

Baldwin said he can confirm the nature of the crime, if not the reason.

“It was an altercation between these two people. I don’t know what the altercation was about. It wasn’t campus-wide or random,” he said.

After the shooting was reported, the school activated its Hornet Alert emergency notification system and went on lockdown until 7:30 p.m.

Student Yasmine Jonaidi, a sophomore and Alpharetta resident, said Wednesday that despite nonstop messages, there was a period of uncertainty after the all-clear.

“We didn’t know if they caught the people involved or if they could have come back on campus,” she said.

Michael Abbott said he received messages telling him to stay in his dorm room and lock the door and that his 8 p.m. class was canceled.

He also got word when city police took over the case and when the lockdown was over.

“It made me feel better. I was glad they handled it,” he said.

Kassandra Carman, a Canton resident, said the school’s response was appropriate.

“They handled it very well,” she said. “We’ve seen quite a few officers patrolling today, more than normal.”

Carman had no problem lingering outdoors near the student center.

We’re still having our bake sale,” the senior said about a Society of Women Engineers fundraiser for Komen for the Cure. “We’re out here.”

Likewise, second-year student Sedahlia Davis said the mood on campus Wednesday was peaceful.

“There’s a few people who have disagreements like last night, but I don’t feel any different,” she said. “At first it was hectic. But now it’s like, everything’s passed. It’s over with.”

Carson agreed.

“With the lockdown there was a sense of angst,” she said. “Now that that’s lifted and the investigation has been moved offsite, it’s back to business as usual.”
Comments-icon Post a Comment
October 18, 2012
If SPSU accepted more veterans and fewer gang bangers, things like this wouldn't happen.

*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, and spam will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides