Students return to Atlanta school after gas leak
by AP News Now
December 07, 2012 10:50 AM | 1193 views | 0 0 comments | 6 6 recommendations | email to a friend | print

ATLANTA (AP) — Students are returning to an Atlanta elementary school where dozens of students were sickened by carbon monoxide, but school officials say they've now placed carbon monoxide detectors in the building.

Finch Elementary School reopens Friday morning, four days after soaring levels of carbon monoxide sent more than 40 students and some adults to hospitals.

Georgia law does not require the detectors in schools, but Atlanta Public Schools officials said Thursday that planning is under way to install them in buildings across the district.

Superintendent Erroll Davis says the leak was caused by human error, not an equipment failure. He said two maintenance workers serviced the boiler at the southwest Atlanta school just days before the leak, and failed to reopen a valve after doing the work.



Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, and spam will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides