ATLANTA (AP) — Students are returning to an Atlanta elementary school where dozens of students were sickened by carbon monoxide, but school officials say they've now placed carbon monoxide detectors in the building.
Finch Elementary School reopens Friday morning, four days after soaring levels of carbon monoxide sent more than 40 students and some adults to hospitals.
Georgia law does not require the detectors in schools, but Atlanta Public Schools officials said Thursday that planning is under way to install them in buildings across the district.
Superintendent Erroll Davis says the leak was caused by human error, not an equipment failure. He said two maintenance workers serviced the boiler at the southwest Atlanta school just days before the leak, and failed to reopen a valve after doing the work.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.