The celebration is a testament to the high-achieving students in Cobb, and a recognition of the people who got them there.
One student from every private and public high school in Cobb were nominated by their schools for the STAR award based on a number of different factors, including SAT test scores, grade point averages and community service activities, said Curt Spinney, who organized the event.
When the students are nominated, they are given the chance to invite a teacher who has been influential in their academic career to join them at the banquet.
Spinney is a member of the Kiwanis Club of Metropolitan Mariettans, who have been sponsoring the event for 47 years, he said. This is Spinney’s third year organizing the event.
The banquet will be at the First United Methodist Church tonight and will feature speeches by former Lt. Governor Rose Wing and P. Harris Hines, the presiding justice to the Supreme Court of Georgia.
The STAR banquet is a chance for the Marietta Kiwanis Club to foster growth within the youth of the community, Spinney said, and each year the students amaze him with their achievements.
“Many of the students will mention where they intend to go to college. Seventy percent end up going out of state to big-name colleges. I hope they come back and set up practice and work in Cobb County. They are Cobb’s future; they are the nation’s future. I hope they do a good job,” Spinney said.
North Cobb High School and Wheeler had ties for top student this year.
The 2014 STAR students and teachers are:
• Allatoona: Ana Mandujano, Lori Maffe
• Campell: Sharon Shu, Anthony Osinski
• Cornerstone Prep: Sabrina Frost, Rhonda Snow
• Cumberland Christian: Genevieve Ellison, Lawrence Davis
• Dominion Christian: Shelly Edison, Kevin Rhoads
• Harrison: Caroline Surratt, Karen Heiges
• Hillgrove: Sydney Nelson, Nicole Bisesi
• Kell: Bonnie McLean, David Roth
• Kennesaw Mountain: Andrew Ragan, Lane Dye
• Lassiter: Rebekah Lippens, Wylie Brown
• Marietta: Jonathan Sanders, Julie Pinto
• McEachern: Rachele Byrd, Andrea Stumpf
• Mt. Paran: Emily Blom, Martha Troutman
• North Cobb Christian: Ha Leem Ro, Beth Clark
• North Cobb: David Kime and Amy Foster, Kyle Rinaudo
• Osborne: Modupe Aiyeola, Ashley Nelson
• Pebblebrook: Mianna Mantooth, Sharifa Ned
• Pope: Yue Gu, Karen Joyce
• Shiloh Hills Christian: Sarah Pinheiro, Susan Layton
• South Cobb: Oladele Osisami, Max Clark
• Sprayberry: Aduraseyi Ayeni, Annie Thielen-Besst
• Walker: Josh Reini, Randy Fields
• Walton: Akash Doshi, Alan Farnsworth
• Wheeler: Linda Zhou and Jimmy Carter, Anirudh Udutha and Sergio Corvalan
• Whitefield Academy: Justin Brendel, Kyle Justice