Paulding couple indicted on charges of starving son
by AP News Now and staff reports
October 23, 2012 12:00 PM | 682 views | 0 0 comments | 4 4 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Paul and Sheila Comer appear in court during a hearing in Dallas on Oct. 4. The Comers are accused of locking their teenage son in a bedroom with little food for years. He weighed 87 pounds when he was found in Los Angeles in September.<br>The Associated Press
Paul and Sheila Comer appear in court during a hearing in Dallas on Oct. 4. The Comers are accused of locking their teenage son in a bedroom with little food for years. He weighed 87 pounds when he was found in Los Angeles in September.
The Associated Press
slideshow
ATLANTA — A grand jury has indicted a Georgia couple with ties to Cherokee County accused of confining their teenage son to a bedroom for years with little food.

A Paulding County grand jury on Monday handed down the indictment charging the teen’s stepfather, Paul, and mother, Sheila Comer, with seven counts of cruelty to children, two counts of false imprisonment and one count of kidnapping.

The Comers were arrested last month and accused of abusing 18-year-old Mitch Comer. They are being held without bond.

Lawyers for the Comers did not immediately return calls Tuesday, but they have previously said their clients are innocent and another side of the story will come out at trial.

The indictment alleges the Comers caused the teen physical and mental harm before his 18th birthday in September by depriving him of food, confining him in a room, refusing to provide medical assistance, punching him in the jaw and kicking him in the groin.

Detectives investigating the case testified at a probable cause hearing earlier this month that Mitch Comer was confined to a bathroom and bedroom for years and was given little food. He told police he was sometimes forced to kneel on the floor for hours with his forehead against a wall, his hands behind his head and his feet lifted off the ground.

A Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office report says state Department of Family and Children’s Services workers alerted them to a report about Paul and Sheila Comer in February 2009.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, and spam will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides