Man killed in shootout after traffic stop; Officials: Marietta victim shot Alpharetta Police officer 5 times
by Bridgette Bonner
April 14, 2013 12:28 AM | 6132 views | 0 0 comments | 7 7 recommendations | email to a friend | print
A routine traffic stop in Alpharetta left a Marietta man dead Friday evening following a shootout with police.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation began working Saturday to determine what led Curtis Hicks, 52, of Marietta to open fire on Alpharetta Police Officer David Freeman after Freeman pulled Hicks over for an expired tag.

Alpharetta police said Freeman pulled Hicks over in the parking lot of a Christian bookstore along Main Street.

Hicks reportedly opened fire with a handgun as Freeman approached his truck, hitting Freeman five times before driving off toward Roswell, according to Alpharetta Police spokesman George Gordon. Freeman called for backup, and additional units from the Alpharetta and Roswell police departments pursued Hicks as he fled onto Georgia 400.

Hicks began shooting at police vehicles, and a stray bullet hit an unidentified woman driving an SUV in her hip, Gordon said. Bullets struck at least four patrol cars, but no other officers were injured, Gordon said.

Both the woman and Freeman were transported to North Fulton Hospital, and both are stable, Gordon said.

After Hicks continued on Georgia 400 at high speeds, he wrecked the vehicle described as a black truck and officers approached him. Hicks opened fire again on Roswell and Alpharetta officers, and officers from both departments returned fire, killing Hicks.

“The suspect was very determined, for whatever reason, to evade capture,” Gordon said.

Because the incident involved two police departments, the GBI is the lead investigator in the case.

“We have no reasoning for why Hicks began shooting at our officer,” Gordon said.

Freeman was hit in his leg, his lower abdomen, his right arm and twice in his vest area.

Firefighters assisted in transporting Freeman to the emergency room and performed life-saving tactics on the officer, Gordon said.

“We’re just thankful our officer and the bystander are OK,” Gordon said. “The bottom line is a positive outcome.”

Hicks lived on Oak Harbor Trail in Marietta where neighbors described him as a loner.

No one answered the Marietta Daily Journal’s calls to the Hicks residence in Marietta on Saturday.

Gordon said police were still trying to figure out a motive.

“We have no idea what set him off at this point,” Gordon said. “It could be anything. We just don’t know yet.”

The Associated Press and Fox 5 contributed to this report.
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, and spam will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides