No longer needed by the U.S. Coast Guard, the lighthouse is being offered to any eligible group that would use it — and pay for its upkeep — for education, recreational, cultural or historic preservation purposes.
Construction of the lighthouse began in 1911. It stands on Wisconsin Point at the entrance to the port of Superior, Wis.
The Duluth News Tribune reports (http://bit.ly/13BIkJK ) that whoever takes control of the lighthouse will have to agree to several conditions. The structure is on the National Register of Historic Places, and any new owner must maintain the structure to federal standards. In addition, the Coast Guard will reserve the right to service, replace or move the still-operating aids to navigation inside.
Information from: Duluth News Tribune, http://www.duluthnewstribune.com
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.