Georgia News Roundup
December 26, 2013 01:00 PM | 1672 views | 0 0 comments | 4 4 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Gunman opens fire on couple in Savannah, killing 1

SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) — Police in Savannah are investigating a Christmas Eve shooting that killed a man and wounded a woman.

Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police say the gunfire happened around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday in west Savannah.

Police say 38-year-old Michael John Polite and 44-year-old Angela Johnson having a conversation with a man in an SUV near their residence in the 800 block of Elliott Street. They say the man produced a weapon and opened fire on them.

Polite and Johnson were both taken to Memorial University Medical Center, where Polite died.

Johnson was treated for her injuries and is expected to survive.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.


Christmas Day fire destroys house in Buford

BUFORD, Ga. (AP) — Fire officials say a Buford family's home is considered a total loss after a fire on Christmas Day.

Gwinnett County fire officials say two adults -- a husband and his wife -- were home at the time and were able to escape the blaze around 9:20 p.m. Wednesday.

Authorities say the man was downstairs in the den when he heard a loud popping sound. He opened the garage door from the kitchen and was immediately met with heavy black smoke and intense heat. He was treated for a minor burn.

The two told firefighters that flames were rolling out the garage doors when they exited the front door.

Firefighters were met with intense heat and flames as they tried to protect neighboring houses from hot embers and heat.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.


Man dies after he is shot in Atlanta suburb

SANDY SPRINGS, Ga. (AP) — Authorities say a 24-year old man, shot on Christmas Day in the Atlanta suburb of Sandy Springs, has died at a hospital.

Sandy Springs police say the shooting happened shortly after 6 p.m. Wednesday at Parc of Dunwoody Apartments on Brentwood Way in the city just north of Atlanta.

Sandy Springs police spokesman Steve Rose says the victim, Gregory Parson, was shot in the stomach. WXIA-TV reports that Parson later died at North Fulton Hospital.

Rose said a 25-year-old Clayton County man faces a murder charge in connection with the crime.

Information from: WXIA-TV.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.


Pilot asked to return to airport just before crash 

ATLANTA (AP) — Federal authorities investigating an airplane crash that killed two people say the pilot contacted an air traffic controller immediately after taking off from an airport near Atlanta, asking to return to the airport.

The pilot was then given instructions to return to Fulton County Airport, according to a preliminary report released this week by the National Transportation Safety Board. The report says he didn't specify any possible problems on board, and no further transmissions were recorded before the Raytheon 390 Premier I plane crashed in northwest Atlanta Dec. 17.

An eyewitness who lived nearby reported the airplane struck a tree and veered to the right before crashing, the report added. Investigators found evidence that the airplane struck a tree about 80 feet above the ground.

Both people on board died in the crash. They were identified 67-year-old businessman Peter Mallen, a businessman who was the pilot, and 23-year-old Brittany McAuley, a former Emory University student from New York. The plane was en route to New Orleans.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.


Georgia man arrested in brother's shooting death 

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP) — Hall County sheriff's officials say a Flowery Branch man accused of fatally shooting his older brother early Christmas morning has been arrested.

Authorities say 52-year-old Mark Alan Fyfe is being held without bond in the death of 54-year-old Alan Scott Fyfe.

Investigators say deputies were dispatched to a house on River Hill Drive after someone called 911 and hung up Wednesday morning. Authorities say a man who answered the door told them someone else inside the house made the call.

Authorities say Mark Fyfe refused to open the door when investigators asked him to. Deputies went around to the back of the house and found Alan Scott Fyfe dead.

Investigators say aside from murder, the man's brother has also been charged with obstructing an officer and interfering with government property.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, and spam will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides