MARIETA - A family of four is temporarily displaced Monday after an early-morning fire woke them up.
Lt. Jess Zerbe, who is an investigator with the Marietta Fire Department, said they received a call around 3:46 a.m. that there was a fire in the kitchen of an apartment in the 1000 block of Franklin Road in Marietta.
“It was a small kitchen fire that started at the back of the refrigerator,” he said. “It was a malfunction within the refrigerator.”
No one was harmed but there were four people in the residence at the time that were all taken to the hospital, checked out and released, he said.
“Fortunately the fire was small and they didn’t lose any of their personal valuables but due to non-properly functioning smoke detectors, discovery of the fire was delayed,” Zerbe added.
Damage was isolated to the kitchen area and Zerbe said the cabinets, refrigerator and stove will all probably need to be replaced and that some dry wall work will need to be done.
He also said the residents will be staying with other family members in the area until their apartment is repaired.