FL man choked to death in roach-eating contest
by Suzette Laboy, Associated Press
November 26, 2012 03:00 PM | 1401 views | 3 3 comments | 5 5 recommendations | email to a friend | print
MIAMI (AP) — A Florida man choked to death after downing dozens of live roaches during a contest earlier this year in which the grand prize was a python, an autopsy released Monday concluded.

Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach died as a result of "asphyxia due to choking and aspiration of gastric contents," according to the report released by the Broward County medical examiner’s office.

Lab tests for drugs came back negative. The death has been ruled an accident.

Archbold died after downing the bugs as well as worms in October for the contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, about 40 miles north of Miami.

Messages left with the store’s owner and his attorney were not immediately returned.

Archbold became ill shortly after the contest and collapsed in front of the store. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

About 30 contestants ate the insects, but authorities said none of the other contestants became ill.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
Southern Patriot
November 27, 2012
Darwin's Theory proven again. Hopefully this idiot didn't pass his genes on to another generation.
November 27, 2012
What would you say if someone told you you would die from ingesting roaches and worms during an eating contest?
November 26, 2012
A little chlorine in the gene pool.
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, and spam will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides