|December 15, 2015||Toward official English in the Peach State||no comments|
|October 30, 2015||An honorable man and a life well-lived: Goodbye, Joe Kirby||1 comments|
|August 24, 2015||On Dax Lopez of GALEO and a possible lifetime federal judge seat in Georgia||no comments|
|May 13, 2015||Images from the recent GALEO fundraiser breakfast gala as described in my MDJ column today: An on...||no comments|
|April 24, 2015||ATTENTION GEORGIA REPUBLICAN FRIENDS: A question concerning the upcoming state convention||1 comments|
|April 09, 2015||Updated: Video from the Georgia state Senate Chamber – General Assembly legislative Day 39, March...||2 comments|
|March 20, 2015||The Crime of Illegal Immigration: Controlling the English Language - and Being "Offended"||1 comments|
|February 12, 2015||Georgia state Senator Josh McKoon and SB 6||no comments|
|January 30, 2015||An open letter on Georgia drivers license and illegal aliens to Republican Georgia state Senators...||1 comments|
|January 28, 2015||Lists! Find your own state Senator! - Republican-ruled Georgia is issuing drivers licenses to ill...||1 comments|
Toward official English in the Peach State
Ask your state senator: Does he plan on co-sponsoring SR 675?
Readers should be asking their state Senators if they plan on co-sponsoring Senator Josh McKoon’s legislation aimed at allowing We The People to vote on amending the state constitution to make English the official language of government in the Peach State.
McKoon has filed his legislation, SR 675, let me type it again, to allow voters the opportunity to ratify an amendment to the state constitution making English the official language of government. Hooray Senator McKoon!
A Rosetta Stone poll from last week shows what most of us already know: A huge majority of us (76%) favor English as our constitutional official language. See the poll question here.
McKoon’s press release is pretty self-explanatory. We hope you will read it.
Below, we post the proposed ballot question in SR 675.
“Shall the Constitution of Georgia be amended so as to provide that English is the official language of the State of Georgia?"
( ) YES
( ) NO
All persons desiring to vote in favor of ratifying the proposed amendment shall vote "Yes."
All persons desiring to vote against ratifying the proposed amendment shall vote "No."
If such amendment shall be ratified as provided in said Paragraph of the Constitution, it shall become a part of the Constitution of this state.
What must happen before voters see this ballot question when they vote for president in November? Here’s what: The Republican-controlled General Assembly must pass SR 675 by a two thirds majority in each chamber– which the Republican state Senate already has in place. Translation: The Georgia Senate has enough Republicans to pass this without any Democrat votes.
On the state House side, of 180 members, currently 118 members are Republicans, 61 are Democrats and there is one Independent with one seat vacant pending a special election in District 58. By my math, the needed two-thirds majority is 120 votes to pass SR 375 in the Republican controlled House…in an election year.
Before the anti-English lobby gets cranked up, let’s make it clear that it’s not “English only.” It’s English as official, amigos.
We can still say “Villa Rica” “arrivederchi” and “oy vey!”
But ratification by the voters would result in ending the practice of giving our written drivers license test in eleven languages.
As you are likely aware, Joe Kirby passed away last night. With great sadness, we say goodbye to the dear Joe Kirby who I counted as a friend and respected writing mentor.
In 2003, Joe was the first newspaper editor to publish a guest column submission from me and he proudly ran a balanced OPED page. Joe was perhaps the most patient man I ever dealt with.
Joe leaves behind countless friends and admirers and a loving, beautiful family. Joe was just 60. Irreplaceable, he will be greatly missed.
Adios, Joe Kirby. And thank you.
Below is a short profile from GPTV:
Marietta Daily Journal
Joe Kirby has been Editorial Page Editor of the Marietta Daily Journal since 1992 and has won the prestigious Freedom of Information Award and Public Service Award from the Associated Press (Georgia) and the Georgia Press Association numerous times, as well as winning awards for Best Columnist, Best Editorial, Best Editorial Pages and Best Feature from those groups. He is the Southeastern Region 2008 winner of the First Place “Green Eyeshade” Award for Editorial Writing from the Society of Professional Journalists. Kirby worked in the late 1980s and early 1990s as a city hall/general assignment reporter for the MDJ. Prior to that, Kirby was a reporter/anchorman for radio stations in northeast Georgia. He has a B.A. from James Madison University in History and Communication Arts. He serves on the boards of the Marietta Museum of History, the Cobb Library Foundation, the Kennesaw Mountain Historical Association, and the Marietta Kiwanis Club. He and his wife and two children live in west Cobb. He is the author of “The Bell Bomber Plant” and co-author with Damien A. Guarnieri of “Then & Now: Marietta” and “Then & Now: Marietta Revisited.”
Contact info for U.S. Senator Johnny Isakson
One Overton Park
3625 Cumberland Blvd, Suite 970
Atlanta, GA 30339
Tel: (770) 661-0999
Fax: (770) 661-0768
Contact info for U.S. Senator Johnny Isakson
Atlanta, Georgia191 Peachtree Street NE
Atlanta, GA 30303
Images from the recent GALEO fundraiser breakfast gala as described in my MDJ column today
An online supplement
As referred to in my commentary "Ga. GOP officials made nice at illegal alien fundraiser" opinion page of the Marietta Daily Journal opinion page today:
Here is an image of the program page 'thank you' list of sponsors of the recent GALEO fundraiser breakfast gala to supplement D.A. King's MDJ newspaper column today.
Here is the GALEO the program page from that event boasting of Georgia governor Nathan Deal's listing as attending to offer "welcoming remarks." We are told Deal cancelled at the last minute.
A technical problem prevented this information from being posted earlier.
With more illegal aliens than Arizona, will the Georgia Republican base rise up? We’ll see.
In 2007, Georgia’s then senior U.S. Senator, Saxby Chambliss, was loudly booed at the state Republican convention because of his perceived alliance with the donor/anything-for-a-buck business class on immigration and amnesty.
Now, eight years later, most Georgia Republican officials – federal and state – are allowed to stay silent as statues on the topic while Georgia’s Republican Governor, Nathan Deal, and GOP state legislature reward illegal aliens with driver’s licenses, state ID cards and unemployment benefits – and ignore Obama’s illegal amnesty.
And the press runs “news” on illegal aliens as “victims” and valedictorians.
It will be very educational to see what happens at the Republican state convention in May.
I assume ‘Real Deal’ Deal is speaking? Anybody?…hello?
Updated to fix broken links.
VIDEO: HERE , then "SENATE DAY 39 AM" beginning at 137:00 and going to about 2:18 on the counter.
The McKoon amendment was intended to end the practice of rewarding any/all illegal aliens with Georgia driver’s licenses. It failed with an unrecorded hand vote.
Note: Many Senators seemed to try to be off-camera when the raise-your-hand vote was taken. Some even stood up and tried to make it hard to see how they voted by looking like they were counting other Senators votes.
Atlanta’s WSB TV news report on pending legislation under the Gold Dome and offending illegal aliens and their lobbyists.
The below WSB TV News report (“Signs supporting bill offends Hispanic community“ ) focused on some signs promoting Georgia’s Senate Bill 6,which will end the practice of giving driver’s licenses to illegal aliens. It ran Wednesday night, March 18, 2015 on the 11 o’clock news.
When you watch it, try to find any pro-American balance.
But, wait: Does interviewing Angry Jerry Gonzalez who runs the anti-borders, business funded GALEO Inc. and a foreign language-speaking man who is apparently an illegal alien and job thief really qualify as “balance?”
Also, try to remember that the term “illegal alien” is a legal and accurate way to describe a non-citizen who is present in the remains of the United States in violation of our immigration laws.
Try to remember that “illegal alien” is widely used to describe illegal aliens in federal law, Georgia law, by the IRS, in Presidential Executive Orders, and in deliberations in and decisions by the United States Supreme Court – including by that wise Latina”, Justice Sonia Sotomayor. Examples? See here.
Don’t forget to be offended.
WSB TV reporter, Amy Napier Viteri’s former “journalism” gig was with the anti-borders Telemundo foreign language TV network in Washington DC. Her bio on WSB tells us she “grew up in a bilingual Ecuadorian-American household, speaks fluent Spanish and looks forward to helping tell the stories of Spanish speakers here in Georgia.”
We don’t know who posted the SB 6 signs in mostly liberal Decatur, but we offer a hearty thank you!
Georgia state Senator Josh McKoon gave a memorable and very educational three-minute speech to the entire Republican-super majority Georgia senate Wednesday morning. His topic was the crime of illegal immigration and the bill he is sponsoring, SB 6, which will end the practice of rewarding illegal aliens with Georgia driver’s licenses. More than 15,000 illegals now have a drivers license and Obama is about trying to make that number closer to 170,000 with his latest illegal amnesty. Trust me, this is not your 2010 “conservative” Georgia Republican Party.
We post the speech below. Please trust me, it is well worth your three minutes. It may inspire you to contact your own Republican state Senator and ask why he isn’t willing to make his opposition to documenting "the undocumented” clear. Or maybe by not signing on to SB 6, he has made his position crystal clear.
For the record: Here are the sponsors of SB 6 as of today:
SB 6 Sponsor
Senator Josh McKoon
An open letter on Georgia drivers license and illegal aliens to Republican Georgia state Senators who ran for office three months ago as “conservatives.”
Dear Republican state Senators who have not co-sponsored Senate Bill 6 and are allowing illegal aliens to obtain a Georgia drivers license,
I want to try to help you. I hope you accept the help and hard-earned knowledge. It appears that there must be something about SB 6, Georgia drivers licenses and illegal aliens - and the 2005 REAL ID ACT - that is not clear to you.
First: From the AP: Georgia is issuing drivers licenses to illegal aliens
And, a little news from Nebraska: Judge tosses lawsuit over driver’s licenses for Dreamers in Nebraska HERE.
Heads up, this is a 2016 campaign issue alert. Most of us weary voters have memories like elephants on such basic conservative matters as this. It is also a brewing political problem in other states.
A question"It looks like you want to be part of giving illegal aliens a Georgia drivers license. Will you next give them in-state tuition so that an illegal from Mexico can pay less to attend UGA than a legal immigrant from Mexico - or a kid from Tennessee?
Some facts I am guessing are not being spread by the Chamber of Commerce or the tax-payer funded lobbyists, I mean "Legislative Liaisons," from the Georgia Department of Drivers Services (DDS):
1) DACA recipients/“DREAMERS" are not all “kids.” Obama changed the “guidelines” (and will again) last summer to remove any maximum age. A 40-yr-old illegal alien is not ”kids."
2) DACA is a liberal, mass application of a long available federal tool intended for individual cases, that extends deferred action on deportation to illegal aliens. If they weren’t illegal aliens they would not need deferred action on deportation...
3) Deferred action (including DACA - which is renewable, thereby premanent) does not give illegal aliens legal status (please see the USCIS site "Deferred action does not provide lawful status." and I can send you to many illegal alien lobby attorney site with same facts). They are still illegal aliens. There is a hook in fed law that says they have “lawful presence” before deportation because of the SSN and work permit Obama has illegally issued them, but they are still illegal aliens. The meat of SB 6 is changing the Chapter 40 (drivers license code) to change the good-faith term now in state law - “lawful presence -from the pre-Obama Regime America - and to make only American citizens and legal aliens (non-citizens) with “lawful status” eligible for a drivers license in Georgia. It is the work permit and SSN that gives them a DL in Ga now. That is easily changed in law. But not in politics. Georgia is issuing drivers licenses to illegal aliens.
4) Nobody made any effort to change the Georgia law when Obama’s illegal deferred action was only “for the children” - but last year it was repeatedly made clear to all concerned that when the U.S. House killed the Senate amnesty bill, Obama would expand his deferred action amnesty to all or most illegal aliens. Which he did in Nov.- Now it is "for the parents” and before he leaves office it could be for all illegal aliens - if we still have borders. If the Republican-controlled Georgia state Senate is going to ignore the fact that we are giving licenses to illegal aliens and have been since 2012 and ignore that if the pending lawsuit filed by 26 states including Georgia fails to overturn Obama’s amnesty, the number of illegals with deferred action getting a DL in Ga will be around 100,000 to start and grow from there. Then they start on the next increment - citizenship and the vote. Heads up: No matter that the RNC or the Chamber says, newly legalized, low-wage, resentful, street-screaming aliens do not vote GOP. Ask Reagan and Bush 1.
5) I am not clear on your confusion - or what DDS may be telling legislators - but if the theory is that REAL ID somehow prevents illegal aliens from obtaining a drivers license, I will urge you to take a look at California on rewarding NON-DACA illegal aliens with a drivers license with the promise that they will be unable to be used as ID, entering federal buildings or boarding aircraft. A lie that was proven a lie just this week.
6) If DDS and/or the Chamber of Commerce or liberal Republican fellow legislators is telling you anything different, they are not trying to help you. The process of issuing so many drivers license to illegals creates its own separate crimes and offense. - like in California. And its own expense. See here for an example from Texas.
7) This one isn’t going away and nobody in the Capitol will be able to see “only Washington can fix it..” Each state, including Georgia has the right to decide who gets the privilege of a drivers license. DACA does not automatically give the illegal aliens them a drivers license - see HERE for that from the illegal alien lobby. The REAL ID ACT says a state can issue a DL to a deferred action illegal aliens - it does not say the states must issue. Nebraska does not. BTW - Bright Blue Oregon just passed liberal marijuana law - but the liberal voters there handily killed a law giving illegals a driver card (not even a license) . See below.
Here is what Johnny Isakson said when asked about DLs for illegals and SB 6:
"U.S. Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.) declined to comment on the particulars of the bill, but said he supports its goal.
“All you have to look at is what happened in Oregon last week in the election,” he said after his Gold Dome press conference Monday, at which he announced his candidacy for a third term. “Oregon voted 2-to-1 not to give driver’s licenses to illegal aliens. I think that’s the sentiment of the American people.”
Oregonians voted 66-34 against the proposal (roughly the same margin by which Cobb voters rejected the TSPLOST in 2012, for what it’s worth), even though pro-illegals groups outspent opponents by a 10-to-1 margin. The measure failed in every county there but one."
(Read more: The Marietta Daily Journal - Gold Dome bill would block licenses for illegals)
More unsolicited reality: Even if the mostly liberal Georgia media AJC doesn’t present the entire truth, it is still truth.
I write as a friend and with respect to try to turn you from the abyss. But like the huge majority of other Georgia conservatives, if I had known you would hesitate to do everything possible to stop illegals from getting a Georgia drivers license, I would have worked to find a real conservative candidate. But, there is always 2016.
Lists! Find your own state Senator! - Republican-ruled Georgia is issuing drivers licenses to illegal aliens…
Who opposes drivers licenses for illegal aliens in Georgia? Who is fighting to stop that practice by helping to pass SB 6?
Contact your state Senator HERE.
Senate Bill 6 has been officially filed in Georgia and would end the practice of the Republican-controlled state issuing drivers licenses to illegal aliens. The Georgia state Senate has a Republican super-majority. They have the ability to pass anything they choose.
Enemies of the bill:
Republican Governor Nathan Deal
Deal said in 2010 that Georgia spends about $2.4 billion every year on the crime of illegal immigration. He has remained mostly silent on the issue since. The Chamber of Commerce wants the politicians to raise our taxes to fund improvements in transportation.
Republican Lt. Governor and President of the Senate, Casey Cagle
Cagle wants to be governor in 2017.
* Leadership members n the Senate who want to be governor or Lt. Governor in 2017 and are much more fearful of the business lobby than the voters they know will “forgit” in a month and who they consider to be “The Bubbas.”
* The entire Georgia business community, led by the Georgia Chamber of Commerce and the Atlanta Metro-Area Chamber of Commerce. In 2014, these same lobbying groups that now control Georgia killed a similar bill on licensing illegals, a resolution that would have allowed Georgia voters to decide via the November 2014 ballot whether to amend the state constitution to make English the official language of government and a ‘Religious Freedom’ bill.
* Lazy and shy Republicans who will vote for nearly anyone with an ”R” near their name and then treat the public servant as celebrity and master.
For the politically un-aware who are asking “why?” – the answer is profit. Money. The bottom line. The Chamber members make more money by hiring black-market labor in place of Americans and they want to show they control the state when corporations look to relocate to save money on labor.
It was the U.S. Chamber of Commerce that teamed up with the ACLU and the National Council of La Raza in an attempt to remove a 2008 Arizona E-Verify law designed to protect American jobs and wages from illegal labor. The case went all the way to the Supreme Court. The open borders lobby lost that one.
The Georgia Chamber of Commerce also worked alongside the ACLU here in Georgia in 2011 in a failed attempt to stop Georgia’s E-Verify law.
There are many ways for Lt. Governor to kill thi sbill. But each time a phone rings in the state Capitol with calls from irate Georgians who want to know what in the world is going on when Republicans fight to reward illegal aliens with a drivers license (the ‘keys to the Kingdom”) it gets a little more difficult. You should know that the Chamber of Commerce lobbyists are everywhere, all day long under the Gold Dome. Like flies. While you are at work.
The more co-sponsors the bill has, the more difficult it is for the press to ignore it and for Lt. Governor Casey Cagle to kill it - or let it rot in a committee until April of 2016 when the General assembly concludes.
WHO’S WHO ON FIGHTING ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION IN THE GEORGIA SENATE?
Two lists. One shows which GOP Senators have signed on to like a 21st century John Hancock . The other who has not signed on.
There are 38 Senators in the Georgia Senate. 11 of them are working to deter illegal immigration in Georgia on SB 6.
Pro-enforcement Senators who have sponsored SB 6:
Senator Josh McKoon Senate Bill 6 Sponsor
The below Republican state Senators have not yet signed on…and most of them have no intention of taking a chance on offending senate leadership or even worse for them, the Chamber of Commerce that donates money to their campaigns. Put a different way: They are siding with the Chamber and the ACLU on the illegal alien future Democrat voters who are taking jobs and lowering wages.
One more thing: Ask yourself the question: “Would any candidate have promised to give illegal aliens a drivers license in Georgia during the campaign just months ago? Would you have voted for them if they did?”
Senators who have NOT signed on to endorse/co-sponsor SB 6:
Illegal aliens cannot get a drivers license in Mexico.